Click on the social icons to share with your family and friends!
Drug companies get richer while patients get sicker.
10. Solodyn®'s only active ingredient is minocycline. Solodyn® can cost up to $1,000.00 per month while generic minocyline may cost as little as $100.00 for a one month supply.
9. The major difference between Solodyn® and generic minocycline is that patients on Solodyn take one pill per day while patients on generic minocycline take two pills per day.
8. Advertisements for Solodyn® say that "the safety of using Solodyn® longer than 12 weeks has not been studied and is not known," however, when minocycline is taken for a long time to treat acne, it has been known to cause immune system reactions such as lupus, hepatitis, and vasculitis.
7. Medicis Pharmaceuticals, the maker of Solodyn®, was founded by Jonah Shacknai in Scottsdale, Arizona. In 2011, Mr. Shacknai's son, Max and his girlfriend, Rebecca Zahau, died within a couple of days of each other under some suspicious circumstances. 
6. In 2012, Valeant Pharmaceuticals, a giant Canadian drug company, purchased Medicis and its flagship product Solodyn® for 2.6 billion dollars. Solodyn® was Medicis' biggest money-maker, accounting for around 40% of Medicis' sales. 
5. Valeant raised the price of Solodyn® after they purchased the company. [5a]
A recent study by JAMA Dermatology concluded "The price of prescription dermatologic drugs rose considerably from 2009 to 2015, with the vast majority of price increases occurring after 2011. Percent increases for multiple, frequently prescribed medications greatly outpaced inflation, national health expenditure growth, and increases in reimbursements for physician services." [5b]
4. In 2013, sales of Solodyn® totaled $199 million and 2014 sales totaled $209 million. For the first half of 2015, the makers of Solodyn® had sales totaling $122 million. 
3. According to allegations in lawsuits filed over the past two years, the makers of Solodyn® engaged in bogus litigation to convince makers of generic drugs to accept a cash payment for not bringing a less-expensive, generic form of Solodyn® to market. In this way, the makers of Solodyn® could keep their profits rolling in, while the public paid a higher price for the drug. 
2. In order to collect that higher price, the makers of Solodyn® used some questionable tactics. Until recently, a large percentage of Valeant's pharmaceuticals were purchased through a mail order pharmacy called Philidor RX Services, LLC. Philidor used aggressive and questionable techniques to get insurers to pay for prescription drug claims. [2a]
While the relationship between Valeant and Philidor is not entirely clear, it appears that Valeant employees worked closely with the pharmacy to maximize their profits at the expense of patients and their insurance companies. [2b] A pharmacist at the center of this scandal accused Valeant of 'massive fraud'. [2c]
1. At least two vicitms brought lawsuits against the makers of Solodyn®. Brittani Tigert, a 21-year-old college student, was prescribed Solodyn® to treat her acne. After she reportedly filled six prescriptions for the drug, Brittani suffered serious liver damage and then liver failure. She filed suit against the makers of Solodyn® in New Jersey alleging that the drug company "grossly understated the risks associated" with the treatment. [1a]
Amanda Watts, a Chandler, Arizona resident, was prescribed Solodyn® for treatment of her acne when she was a minor. After taking Solodyn® for 20 weeks on two occasions, Amanda was hospitalized for drug-induced lupus and hepatitis. Amanda's case went all the way to the Arizona Supreme Court where they held that Amanda could pursue the makers of Solodyn for consumer fraud and providing insufficient warnings about the dangers of taking the drug. [1b]
Due to the drug maker's misleading statements about the side effects of Solodyn®, hundreds of individuals have sustained irreparable damages. If you or a loved one suffered from lupus, hepatitis, or vasculitis from taking Solodyn®, act now by requesting your free consultation—you may be eligible to receive financial compensation.LET'S GET STARTED